Friday, December 4, 2009

Lion's Head




Before I came on this trip, I would not have considered myself to be an outdoorsy or adventurous person. I still don’t consider myself to be outdoorsy or adventurous, but I think I might be close. Kaitlin (you should remember her from the Table Mountain blog) and Diana convinced me that I should climb Lion’s Head. “It’s much easier than Table Mountain!” I eventually gave in and up the mountain we went. I have to admit, it was easier than Table Mountain, but it was a bit scarier. Lion’s Head is round, so the climb takes you around in a circle and gives you a 360 degree view of the city! I had heard that there was a part where you could either continue to wind your way to the top or use chains to climb straight up. I made it clear from the beginning that I was NOT going to do the chains. My fellow climbers assured me that we could take the longer way up; and like a fool, I believed them! I’m not sure how they did it, but they convinced me to go up the chains. Looking back on it, the experience wasn’t really that bad. But at the time, I was terrified! I didn’t realize that I’m actually a little afraid of heights! By the time I made it up, my hands were trembling. Kudos to Diana for coaching me step by step and to Kaitlin for the constant encouragement! The view from the top was SPECTACULAR, but I don’t think I’ll be climbing any more mountains anytime soon!


No comments:

Post a Comment